November 2, 2011

Halloween

For play group a couple weeks ago we decorated Halloween sugar cookies.  Libby really enjoys baking with me.  She is always offering to help stir and put in the ingredients for me.  She was excited to do the decorating all by herself too.  These tasted soooo good!

Last year Libby and I baked and decorated Halloween cupcakes.  Libby really enjoyed that last year so I decided to try and make that our new tradition.  This year we tried to get a little creative with our cupcakes.  We made chocolate cake and put mini chocolate chips or carmel centers into the batter before we baked them.  I'm not much of a chocolate or cake person so I don't know how well they turned out, but Libby, Kennedi and Josh enjoyed them.  We took them to our ward Trunk-or-Treat party the next day.

Spaghetti for dinner and chocolate cake makes for a really messy Kennedi, which is pretty normal.  She's such a messy eater.

We started halloween weeked with some Halloween Mummy Enchiladas.  So good!

We stayed indoors this past Saturday because we had a big NY October snow storm.  Which worked out fine for us because we planned on carving our pumpkins.  Josh designed the biggest pumpkin and carved it out using some of his surgical tools and skills.  :)

Libby helping me pick out our design.  We decided on a pirate ship.  Libby's really into pirates lately.  She's always singing "yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!"

Josh's scary Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater

My Black Pearl pirate ship
Libby is a BIG fan of the books about Fancy Nancy and has a doll too. Libby is quite fancy herself. She's aways playing dress ups, wearing jewelery, dancing, and playing with princess dolls. So it was perfect for her to be Fancy Nancy for Halloween. Especially since her hair is still red. Libby continueously said how cute or fancy she looked as Fancy Nancy. She really enjoyed dressing up as her.
This is the look we were trying to go for with few twists of our own. Usually I can get Libby's hair more curly, but it was not working this time, I was kind of bummed about that. She looks pretty good though. The fantastic thing about Libby and Kennedi's costumes this year is that I only had to sped 24 cents and that was to buy the orange ribbon. :)
Libby and her friend Jack as Mario

Kennedi was a tough decision, until one day Libby watched an Angelina Ballerina movie and it clicked.  We have the perfect leatard with a tutu.  So all I had to do was make some ears and tail and add a little make up.  Libby was also really excited for Kennedi to be Angelina.  Surprisingly Kennedi was really into wearing the cute pink gloves, she never took them off.  She did have a hard time holding things though.

Kennedi and her friend Olivia as Princess Toadstool

I was a cowgirl yet again.  It's just easy.
The theme of the Halloween party was Alice in Wonderland.  The youth did all the work decorating, costumes, games, food, and running the show.  They did a great job.  This is seriously all the youth and kids in our ward.  It's small, but it works!  :)
Kennedi and Libby trunk-or-treat loot that night.  Pretty good selection I must say.  :)

On Halloween night we decided to have a Halloween party with some or our friends the Summers and Westins.  We all contributed by making a food that was Halloween like.
Here we have mummy pizzas.

Potato skin ghosts

Little smokies mummies

Meatball eyeballs with blood ketchup dip

Pumpkin rice krispie treats and oreo pudding dirt and worms.  I made some really good applecider carmel stuffed cookies, but didn't grab a picture.  Fun cookie to make for this fall season.

Our girls our so spoiled in this neighborhood.  They recieved all these goodies and some candy from a few people that live near us.  Nobody goes trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.

After Halloween I love going to Target to pick up a couple things on clearence.  Here's what I found.  I love the glass pumpkin because I can use it for Halloween and Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Marie T. said...

What great photos! I LOVED the girl's Halloween costumes! Great job Sam! I miss all of you so much. The photos of Kennedi eating are the best. She is a hoot! It sounds like you had a good Halloween.

The Days said...

Awesome Sam! I'm so glad you blog so I can stay caught up with you guys. Looks like a fun Halloween!

Unknown said...

The costumes are SO cute! Nice photos! Thanks for keeping us posted!! :)